Opening Speech by Ms. Debbie Evans, President, South East Asia/Australia, Reed Exhibitions at the official opening of the Asia
TV Forum & Market and Screen Singapore on 5 December 2018, Wednesday at Marina Bay Sands
Ms. Sim Ann,
Your Excellencies, Distinguished Guests, Industry Partners, Media Friends,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- A very warm welcome to the official opening of Asia TV Forum & Market (ATF) and ScreenSingapore 2018 – Asia’s leading entertainment content market and conference, and a part of the Singapore Media Festival.
- It is our honour to have Ms. Sim Ann, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Communications and Information & Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, to grace the opening ceremony today. Thank you, Ms. Sim.
Overview of ATF and ScreenSingapore 2018
- This is our 19th edition of the Asia TV Forum & Market (ATF) and 8th edition of ScreenSingapore. Next year, ATF will be celebrating our 20th year anniversary. As the producer of ATF and ScreenSingapore, we are excited and also grateful to witness how the market and conference have grown from strength-to-strength every year, with support from the industry and partners.
- The industry may have been disrupted by digital evolution in recent years resulting in massive shifts in the way content is being delivered and consumed. However, what remains unchanged is the fact that content will always be king. With the rise of Asia, this is the best time for talented Asian creators to embrace opportunities from the new order of the media world.
- As a global company committed to Asia, Reed Exhibitions remains steadfast in our determination to invest and curat
Firstly, a spotlight on the new
- Asia Pacific continues to garner more eyeballs not only for being the global growth leader in the media and entertainment industry, but also for the myriad of content, talents and audiences that have emerged from the region. Driving this dynamic growth potentials will be creative entrepreneurship, which will not only be the new engine of growth, but also disrupt the entire ecosystem.
- This year’s ATF Leaders’ Summit focused on “The Next New”. The sessions saw a line-up of C-Level executives from non-conventional digital players who delivered forward-looking strategies ideas.
- Among the keynotes, Curt Marvis, CEO and Co-Founder of QYOU, highlighted that the power of short form content created by digital natives would be crucial in capturing the elusive audience of millennials and Gen Z customers. He also noted that multiscreen distribution models would be critical to attract this audience.
- When delivering his keynote, CuriosityStream’s Chief Content Officer Steve Burns shared his strategy for delivering top-notch content that resonates with audience across geography and culture.
- Other industry luminaries who took to the stage yesterday also included Ju Jian, Chief Content Officer & Global President of Strategy, Huawei Technologies; iQIYI’s Senior Vice President Yang Xianghua and Vice-President Chen Xiao, as well as Howard T Owens, Founder & Co-CEO of Propagate Content.
- As part of the Singapore Media Festival’s Country of Focus initiative, Carlo Katigbak, President and CEO of ABS CBN Corporation; Vincent Reyes, President and CEO of TV5; and Guido Xavier R. Zaballero, Chief Marketing Officer, Cignal TV also spoke at the ATF Leaders’ Summit and shed light into the current Filipino media and entertainment landscape. I would also like to extend our deepest
appreciation to Mr. Mark Lopez, Chaiman of ABS CBN for gracing us with his presence during the Spotlight on Philippines session yesterday, and also to Ms. Mary Liza Dino, CEO of The Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) for leading a strong delegation of companies and talents to Singapore.
Secondly, again, content is and will always be the king
- ‘Content is king’ – this is not a new phrase, and it has become more relevant than ever before. In today’s times, where consumers are less loyal and have become more demanding and tech-savvy, content creators and platforms must continuously push the envelope to inspire, engage, and most importantly, retain their audience.
- Sessions at “The Content Connection” today will uncover strategic opportunities in dynamic market conditions and showcase scripted and unscripted formats from the region’s powerhouses of India, South Korea, Thailand and Turkey.
- And tomorrow, format experts and creative leaders will expound on relevant issues and explore case studies at “Production Day”, where sessions will seek to grow industry capabilities and advance industry proficiency.
Finally, grooming Asia’s creative talents
- As Asia’s leading content market platform, ATF and ScreenSingapore believes not just in presenting the best content, but also in discovering, supporting and nurturing outstanding Asian talents.
- In this light, we have launched a new pitching competition – ATF Chinese Pitch – in partnership with G.H.Y Culture & Media. Targeted at Asian content creators, this pitching competition aims to bring innovative concepts for new and original scripts for theatrical or online movies, or online drama series to fruition in Chinesespeaking territories.
- Winners of the inaugural ATF Chinese Pitch competition will be announced later this afternoon following a live pitch session.
- Two popular pitch competitions – ATF Formats Pitch and ATF Animation Pitch – have returned this year as well. Broadcasters interested in discovering innovative format and animation concepts can join in the live pitches happening tomorrow.
- Further, we have the fourth edition of Southeast Asian Film Financing (SAFF) Project Market that will provide funding opportunities for budding filmmakers in the Southeast Asian film industry.
- With a stellar conference line-up and spirited business discussions on the market floor, ATF and ScreenSingapore 2018 will certainly be abuzz with activity.
- Once again, on behalf of Reed Exhibitions, I would like to express my sincere appreciation to the Info-communications Media Development Authority, the Singapore Tourism Board, supporting associations, embassies, partners, sponsors and media friends for your continued support and participation.
- I wish everyone a rewarding and exciting time at ATF and ScreenSingapore.